Pretty (but) Dangerous

It’s December, and with Christmas just around the corner, many families choose to decorate their home in Campbelltown with lights, trees and even start planning their well-deserved holiday treat. The problem is every summer there are dozens of preventable house fires caused by inappropriate installation of lights and decorations.
Follow these simple steps to ensure you and your family stays safe:

  • Install light sets around 240 Volts, which is the recommended safe level for Australia
  • Avoid plugs which are incompatible with Australian Socket Outlets (Power Points)
  • Inspect lights and avoid dangerously thin electrical insulation on flexible leads
  • Keep an eye on globes to ensure they do not overheat and cause nearby material to catch fire
  • Install cords correctly, so they do not tear
  • Do not “octopus” power points by installing multiple dual or quad extensions
  • Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding assembly, installation and globe replacement.
  • If using the same lights from year to year, make sure they are in good condition and there is no exposed wiring before installation. Remember to pack them carefully every year to prolong their safe working life.
  • Do not use damaged or faulty decorative lights
  • Never use decorative lights outdoors unless they are specifically designed for such use
  • Do not cover or modify lights in any way
  • Always turn lights off at the power point when they are unattended or when watering a Christmas tree.
  • Ensure children and infants are supervised near decorative lights at all times

By following these simple steps, you can greatly reduce the risk of having your holiday ruined. From all the staff at Prudential Real Estate Campbelltown, we wish you happy and safe holidays!

Leave a Reply